THE PLUMBERS IN THE DRIVEWAY







THE PLUMBERS IN THE DRIVEWAY


Morning was chilly, a winter Florida trend 
Fireside seating chatting up with friends

Gray sky touching windows, shadow of a palm
Two hands holding cup, keeping spirits warm

The company of women, the fireplace, the words   
The cat, the dog, the bird, moments left un-stirred 

Phone on silence, time put on hold
Escaping the hours, but afternoon unfolds

Cross leg on a pillow, chocolates follow lunch
I glanced at the real world, messages-a bunch

The plumbers in the driveway! Throbbing text!
Jumping to my feet, friends looked perplexed

As I shared the headline, and left the dog behind
Will try to make it home now in record time

Suspicion turned to smiles, did I deserve to haste?
Who is the plumber? Girls, you know I have good taste.

Soft breeze while driving, “I’m on the way”
My thoughts on one thing, hoping he will stay

The plumbers in the driveway, waiting just for me 
Coming, coming, there you are I see

Gliding towards the driveway, looking up he smiled 
Arranging his tools neatly, waiting all this while 

I’m letting you in further, here’s the key to my home
You can finish inside slowly and I’ll wait till you’re done.  

Jan/2021 
I was at my friend’s house enjoying coffee on a cold Florida morning turning into afternoon by the fireplace, when my plumber called me to let me know he was in my driveway for an appointment.
Forgetting this scheduled time, I reacted quickly to the message because I didn’t want him to leave.  Curiosity got the better of my friends about my quick reaction and they assessed that the plumber was some sort of code word for a hook up.  Yeah… he hooked up a new water heater.  I’m Dedicating this poem to my friends and their misguided wishful thinking.

Comments

Popular Posts